This blog is all about Food. Real Food. Food that Nourishes, Heart and Soul.

Real Ingredients, Organic and Locally sourced whenever and where ever possible, shared with love.

No packages, no ingredients that are impossible to pronounce.

Real, honest food, from my kitchen to yours. Enjoy!

Friday 8 March 2013

BBQ Braised Cabbage



I had a really nice head of organic cabbage that had been hanging out in my fridge for a couple of weeks, just waiting for some inspiration. I was thinking of making another batch of sauerkraut with it, being as my supply is starting to run low, but just hadn't gotten around to it yet. I was also thinking of making my favourite  spicy cabbage from a post on my old blog (http://9cooks.blogspot.ca/2010/01/will-trade-for-duck-eggs.html), but again, it just hadn't happened yet. So there the cabbage sat.  On Saturday Jim and I had picked up some Steam Whistle Spicy Beef Sausage With Beer at a really cool place in Kitchener: (http://www.fiddleheadshealth.com/retailer/store_templates/shell_id_1.asp?storeID=6CDFC10EFEFF4F04BA13BEC66142CE79) I knew I was going to BBQ them tonite, and on a whim decided to BBQ the cabbage too. Why not, right? I threw it in a double layer of foil, heated up the grill, and found a brand new favourite way to have cabbage.  This will be repeated OFTEN! The cabbage takes on a smoky buttery sweetness that is amazing. It was the perfect side to our sausages.

BBQ Braised Cabbage

½ of an organic Cabbage, cut into 4 wedges.
4 pats of butter
Salt and pepper to taste
8 pieces of foil, big enough to wrap around the wedges, you will use 2 pieces for each wedge


Directions:
Preheat BBQ.
Place a wedge of cabbage on 2 pieces of foil , top with a pat of butter , and salt and pepper to taste.
Wrap foil up around cabbage well, and repeat with the other 3 wedges.
I used the indirect BBQ method, turning off the middle burner on our BBQ  but leaving the outer 2 on medium heat. 
Close lid and leave for 35-40 minutes. Unwrap carefully and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment