This blog is all about Food. Real Food. Food that Nourishes, Heart and Soul.

Real Ingredients, Organic and Locally sourced whenever and where ever possible, shared with love.

No packages, no ingredients that are impossible to pronounce.

Real, honest food, from my kitchen to yours. Enjoy!

Saturday 18 May 2013

Grain Free Gingerbread Apple Muffins


First of all, as much as these look like chocolate muffins, they aren't  (even if my hubbie thinks they taste like chocolate, which I still don’t understand, but we will move on!) I intended to make banana muffins this afternoon, but ended up making a banana oat chocolate chip bar to go in the freezer for my boys with the bananas instead. Being as the muffins were supposed to be for tomorrows Breakie, I still needed to come up with a recipe.   Being a bit cool today, a nice spicy gingerbread sounded yummy. I think they will go perfectly with a grapefruit and a nice cup of green tea in the morning. I used my kitchen rasp to finely grate both the ginger and the nutmeg. If you don’t have a rasp, or the fresh ginger and nutmeg, substitute the dried spices. I peeled my apple, even though it was organic it still had a waxy feel to it, but it is not generally necessary. 

Grain Free Gingerbread Apple Muffins

1 ½ cups almond flour
¼  cup coconut flour
¾ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of allspice
¼ cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil
3 eggs
¼ cup molasses
1 tsp grated fresh ginger (or ½ tsp dried)
Pinch of Grated whole nutmeg (or scant 1/8 tsp dried)
¼ cup kefir or yogurt
1 cup grated organic
granny smith apple

Mix all ingredients  except grated apple together in a large mixing bowl with a stick blender until well combined. Mix in grated apple and combine well.
Scoop evenly into 12 lined muffin tins.
Bake for  20 min, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
Remove from oven and let stand in muffin tin for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment