This blog is all about Food. Real Food. Food that Nourishes, Heart and Soul.

Real Ingredients, Organic and Locally sourced whenever and where ever possible, shared with love.

No packages, no ingredients that are impossible to pronounce.

Real, honest food, from my kitchen to yours. Enjoy!

Wednesday 3 September 2014

Homemade Taco Seasoning

This is a mix I have used for quite a while for anything that you want that bit of Mexican flavour with. I have always called it taco spice, but it works equally well for fajitas and nachos too.  I really like knowing what ingredients are in spice mixes, and this gives you complete control. Smoked paprika gives a wonderful smoky flavour to the mix. If you cannot find it, a regular paprika would do, just not a hot one. If you like it spicy, use the whole amount of cayenne. As always, choose organic herbs and spices whenever possible. The oregano that I used this time was dehydrated from my garden. I used my mortar and pestle to grind it up. 
The onion powder is from a batch I made last year...I dehydrated a whole load of onions, and then ran them thru the blender to make my own onion powder. 
This mix works equally well with beef, chicken or turkey too! The recipe makes enough to just fill a 1 cup mason jar, and it should store well for at least 6 months in your cupboard.

Homemade Taco Seasoning

8 tsp chili powder
6 tsp smoked paprika
1-2 tsp cayenne
2 tsp salt
4 tsp cumin powder
4 tsp dried oregano
4 tsp arrowroot powder
2 tsp coconut sugar
4 tsp onion powder

Mix all ingredients together well and store in a 1 cup glass mason jar.


To use: Brown 1 lb meat of your choice (ground beef, chicken, turkey, chicken or turkey chunks or strips, strips of steak, etc) in , drain fat if desired. 

Add 3 TBSP of taco spice and ½ cup water to the pan.  Mix in well and simmer until the liquid is reduced and the sauce is thickened, approx 3-4 minutes.  Serve as desired. 






1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete