This blog is all about Food. Real Food. Food that Nourishes, Heart and Soul.

Real Ingredients, Organic and Locally sourced whenever and where ever possible, shared with love.

No packages, no ingredients that are impossible to pronounce.

Real, honest food, from my kitchen to yours. Enjoy!

Friday 31 July 2015

Grain Free Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Some tastes are a very nostalgic thing for me, and Rhubarb pie is at the top of the list. I know I have waxed poetic about my Grandma's Rhubarb pie before (this Rhubarb custard post was one such occasion) but it really was that awesome. When I perfected my grain free pastry recipe, and my rhubarb was at that perfect spring readiness, I figured it was time to honour my grandma and her pie, pastry and all.

My favourite pie plate is quite large, if yours is smaller, use the extra crust and filling to make some lovely little tarts!


Grain Free Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

1 prepared Grain Free Pie Crust,(baked for 8 minutes as per directions in recipe)
3 cups chopped rhubarb (I used fresh but frozen would work too!)
2 cups sliced strawberries (hulls removed) (or sub 2 additional cups chopped rhubarb and omit strawberries)
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 cup coconut sugar
4 Tbsp arrowroot starch
Pinch of salt
Preheat oven to 350F

Mix fruit together in a large bowl and set aside.

Measure the remaining ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and mix thoroughly with an immersion blender. Pour over the prepared fruit and mix gently to coat.

Pour into prepared pie shell.


Bake in preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until the pie is set in the middle. Check 1/2 way thru and place a foil shield around the edge if it is already starting to brown. 
Carefully remove from oven and let cool thoroughly before serving. Store leftovers in refrigerator.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Janine for the pie crust recipe. Being grain free ive been wanting pie. Your recipe was delicious and easy. Even my family liked it. Also enjoyed the strawberry rhubarb recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you enjoyed it!! It was nice chatting with you in the store today!

    ReplyDelete